Thursday, March 10, 2011

So where the hell have you been lately?!?!?

Skiing, that's where.

Ruby Mountain Ski Days

Ruby Mountain Ski Days started out as nothing more than a place for me to upload photos. I and several of my friends used to post trip reports over on Telemark Tips - it was a great way to share photos, ideas, updates on conditions, etc. Unfortunately, the TTips photo server went down and if we wanted to post photos they had to be linked from a non-TTips url. Thus, Ruby Mountain Ski Days.

It's kind of taken on a life of its own as Google Analytics tells me that people are visiting pretty regularly. Don't know why, there are much better places out there to find local ski photos and info on conditions, including the website for Ruby Mountain Heli-Ski. But hey, if people are interested in lurking and watching the backcountry ski adventures of a slow 50-year-old woman, well, I'm not going to argue. I put it out there after all.

I will admit, though, that the pictures are pretty good.

++++++++++++++

Trail update - they're all covered with snow - duh! Bring your skis or snowshoes. ;) The road's closed at its usual winter closure place, just past Pete's Corner. The snow on the road is very whooped out from all the snowmobile traffic right now, which is usual for this time of year. Snowshoes are NOT necessary for a hike up the road right now. The snow is OK for XC skiing, as long as you don't mind dealing with the whoops.

You can also take your touring skis up Right Fork. The jeep tracks have enough coverage for short tours, and you can always make your way across the creek and through the willows up above the Scout Camp. Be aware that the climbers right wall does slide, so if you head up that way have an eye to avalanche conditions.

The first couple of miles of the Secret-Lamoille Trail are quite suitable for snowshoeing right now, and there have been snowshoe tracks on it on several occasions. A friend of mine told me recently that it was an excellent snowshoeing day trip. I've been focusing on skiing recently and haven't broken out the snowshoes, but on high avalanche danger days (like today) it's a good winter workout alternative. Might just head up there myself today. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time the time to fill the rest of us in on what is going on in the Rubies.

    I look forward to your updates and really enjoy your photos and trail reports. And lets be honest there are not a lot of good sites on the web about the Ruby Mountains, but I consider this one of them.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bill, I appreciate that. I'll be honest - I'm really surprised at the traffic this site gets. That said, though, it obviously does and so I'm happy to provide what beta I can. I'm over in SLC skiing this weekend and so don't have a recent Rubies update - other than the fact that they got hit with plenty and I'm guessing that the skiing is excellent. As per usual.

    Don't be afraid to add to the group knowledge base... if you take a trip up there and have info to share, please do! It all helps.

    ReplyDelete